In this lesson we'll talk about all the concepts you need to know before we dig into actual programming of cues. We'll talk about Why it's worth doing this, and provide a basic gear list.
00:32 Types of Video Content
- Background Video
- Foreground Video
00:37 Background Video
- Focus is not on this content
- Sync isn’t as big of a deal
- Lyric Backgrounds
01:33 Foreground Video
- Focus is on this content
- Sync is a big deal
- Lyric Video
- Intro Videos
02:18Two Goals when using a Video Playback System
- We’re creating content elsewhere, or purchasing, and we just need to Playback the Content
- GOALS: Sync the Playback Position, Sync to a tempo
- We want to creatively alter the video in our software, or create something new from it.
- GOALS: Same as Playback, but also control effect levels, etc..
03:39 Potential Sync Problems with Video Playback
- Syncing Timeline Position
- Don’t worry too much with losing sync live
- If you stop in rehearsal, you have to start again from the top, because there’s no way to transmit timeline location
04:40 -Syncing Tempo/Changing Tempo
- Most people live with this limitation
- There are solutions to allow the video to flex with you
05:25Traditional Video Playback Setup
- Controlled by the Lighting Console
- At this Cue, play this video
- The video can be manipulated in realtime from the lighting console via a Media Server
06:40 What is a Media Server?
- Essentially a Computer dedicated to playback and manipulate video
07:11 Green Hippo Hippotizer
08:04 Coolux Pandoras Box
08:35 This doesn’t have to be a HUGE purchase.
- This could be a Mac Mini running Video Software
09:13 Pro Systems Group Catalyst
09:39Things to Consider when Creating a Media Server
- Hard Drive Space
- Hard Drive Speed
- Graphics Card
- Don’t always think Industry Standard
11:15 Video Control Solutions/Products
- MIDI Module
- Bome's MIDI Translator
14:55 Resolume Arena/Avenue
16:13 Arkaos Grand VJ
- Videos from Sweetwater with The Digital Age
18:12Video Control Options
- Sending DMX from Ableton Live?
- Ableton can't natively send DMX
- What is DMX?
- Requires Max4Live or Ableton Live Suite
- What is SMPTE?
- Generating SMPTE Tracks online
- Controlling Lights with Bwack
29:43 Live MTC